Saturday, March 3, 2012

Pin #16 Baby Blanket

Inspiration Pin
 
 picture from mamastellato.com

I've always wanted to make one of these soft and fuzzy blankets as a baby present. My friend just had a baby boy and so I decided to try one out using Mama Stellato's awesome tutorial that I found on Pinterest. 

  Here is the blanket mid-project. This is my sewing spot and I am in love it! I didn't have one in our last home and always had my stuff spread across the kitchen for days. Now I can leave a project on my machine for days and no one it doesn't bug anyone but me. My sewing machine is still broken and so my Mom was nice enough to let me borrow hers for a week. I am hoping to get that machine fixed this week, and then I am going to baby and love it so it never breaks again. It isn't cheap to get them fixed!

Here's the finished blanket:
 I used flannel for the front, unlike Mama Stellato who used a cotton fabric, but I think it turned out cute. I am excited to do more of these in the future. They are pretty easy and I love how soft that polka dot fabric is for a little baby.

On a side note...I actually started this blanket back in November and I originally planned to use this warm comfy brown fabric for the backing:
 As wonderful as this fabric feels, it was a BEAST to work with. I even assembled the blanket and was at the point where I was going to sew the border when I noticed trouble with my machine. The stitches started to look wrong and regardless of what I tried to do with the tension, the stitches looked off. So at that point, I decided to pick out the crazy seams that I had sown and go to my Mom's to use her machine. Of course, as I started to pick the stitches I ripped the brown fabric and as hard as I tried, it refused to be fixed. You can see how fragile it is and the tears along the edge of the fabric in this picture. Anyway, I finally gave up and went back to JoAnn's to get the brown polka dot material that is used in the tutorial. I knew I should have just done that from the beginning!!!  I blame my broken machine on this fabric, but the truth is that I probably needed to get it serviced anyway. 

2 comments:

  1. So cute!, I loooove minkie blankets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's adorable! Maybe I can give that a try if I'm feeling confident enough haha. And I know what you mean about that beastly brown fabric. It's so soft but it gets EVERYWHERE and it's hard to work with.

    ReplyDelete