Thursday, March 1, 2012

Pin #15 Balloon Experiment

Inspiration Pin
We've only done one or two science experiments at home but my kids keep insisting that they are now scientists and need to study things. So, this morning I told J and A that we were going to do a science experiment this afternoon. Lucky for me there are tons of toddler science related pins on Pinterest, and so I just searched around until I found one that was quick and easy. Here's what we needed:

  1empty bottle
vinegar
baking soda
1 balloon
1/2 cup of water

 The first step is to mix some baking soda in the water and show the kids that nothing happens. Not a very exciting step, but the instructions said to do it and so we did.

Next, we mixed some vinegar and baking soda in the measuring cup. This had a much more exciting reaction. At this point, I tried to explain about gases and how they can fill containers even though we can't really see the gas. The kids got bored and I confused myself, so we moved on.


Finally, I added vinegar to the bottle, poured in some baking soda, and quickly put the balloon over the lip of the bottle. The balloon started to inflate which was pretty cool. I think I got more baking soda on the table than in the bottle but overall it was a quick and fun experiment and the kids really liked it. 



P.S. Yes, Jack is wearing his Darth Vader costume AGAIN. And yes, Anna is wearing a slip as a tutu. It's her favorite dancing outfit. I promise we did get dressed and leave the house today!

1 comment:

  1. So fun! I love Jacks expression in that picture! You are such a cool Mom to do science experiments with your kids!

    ReplyDelete