Thursday, February 9, 2012

Pin #1- Mind Jar

Inspiration Pin
from Here We are Together

This is the first project that I made from Pinterest. It's called a mind jar and we use it as an alternative to time outs. Not that we don't do time outs at our house, cause we do sometimes, but I find that it is nice to have options when disciplining. Here's how it works: I give the jar to my upset little one, let them shake it up, and then ask them to watch the glitter until it all settles to the bottom. Then I say, "Don't come out of your room till you calm down." Strangely enough, watching the glitter fall helps them calm down. I think it has something to do with meditation. My kids love it and have even asked for it during some epic tantrums. The best part is that it is cheap and easy. I used an old jar from my cupboard and got the other supplies at the dollar store.

Here's how mine turned out:

No comments:

Post a Comment