Thursday, February 9, 2012

Pin #2 Abandoned and Beautiful

Inspiration Pin



I've always loved old buildings, but lately I have had a Pinterest obsession with the crumbling and abandoned ones. When I look at these pictures it is like taking a little step back in time. I want to know who lived there, what their life was like, and why they left. I want to know why this sad house is waiting for someone to come back. The history and the architecture are the parts that interest me. The problem is that you can't always get that good background information on all the pictures. I just read a really great article about North Brother Island in New York. It has some incredible pictures of this mysterious island near NYC that was a leper colony and quarantine area. I'd seriously love to go and take pictures at a place like this, but you wouldn't catch me dead there after dark. I watched too many episodes of that Fear show on MTV where people stay in old hospitals and asylums at night and leave screaming. I'd pay money to go there during the day though. Too bad it is all closed off. Most of these awesome old buildings are off limits and a little dangerous. Luckily there are adventurous photographers who sneak in and then post pictures, hence the hours on Pinterest looking at their photos.

I have been obsessed with this old and abandoned stuff for as long as I can remember. I took this picture of a boat for my photography class in high school. I don't think my teacher was very impressed, but I held on to it anyway. I love how it was leaning on that old post like it just needed a good rest.




2 comments:

  1. I love this picture. It's kind of haunting, and makes me wonder what adventures people had in it along the way to it's final docking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture you took is amazing! I thought it was something off pinterest until I read what you wrote. I am very impressed!

    ReplyDelete